Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

About saying 'bald' in German?

Is there an adjective that means 'bald' in German?

When I started looking at describing peoples appearances in German, today, the sentence shown for "I am bald" was "Ich habe eine Glatze.". Similarly, Who is bald?" was shown as " Wer hat eine Glatze?"

This makes "Glatze" a noun meaning "bald head", right?

What I am wondering is, is there an actual adjective that means "bald"? For example if I wanted to say "the dog is bald" or "the bald man over there", how would I say them?

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Yes, Glatze = bald head

For an actual adjective, why not use a dictionary? E.g.
    http://de.pons.eu/dict/search/results/?q=bald&l=deen&in=&lf=

There is an adjective "kahl". It is used to describe a place where hairs or leaves etc. are missing, for example a tree or a branch without leaves (ein kahler Baum, ein kahler Ast). I think in German they don't say "ein kahler Mann", but "ein Mann mit einem kahlen Kop" (/ein Mann mit einem Kahlkopf) (a man with no hairs on the head). Similarly you can say a bald dog (ein kahler Hund).
    By the way, you can also say "a bald man" as "ein Mann mit der Glatze".