What does got in the sentence "This is what he got for~" mean and why did the writer use past tense?

Help! A monster!"said Annie.
"Yeah, sure,"said Jack. "A real monster in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania."
"Run, Jack!"said Annie. She ran up the road.
Oh, brother This is what he got for spending time with his seven-year-old sister.
Annie loved pretend stuff. But Jack was eight and a half. He liked real things.

What does got in the sentence "This is what he got for~" mean and why did the writer use past tense? Please.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "This is what he got...." is like saying "this is what happens to him" when he decides to spend time with his younger sister.
    For the tense choice, I would say it is writer's choice. He well could have said "this is what he gets..." especially if this is a regular occurrence. If it was just this one time that it happened, maybe he chose to use past. Hope this helps.

I'm not very good in english but I think that ' He got for spending time' means he had in change of the time spent with his sister. The writer uses the past because the whole story happens in the past

I think in this situation it's because he chose to spend time with his sister, it's his fault that something bad is happening to him, because he should have known better.