Writing an introduction in Japanese.

Hey, I wish to write an introduction to show off my somewhat limited Japanese skills.

I can read and write Hiragana and Katana, though my knowledge of Kanji is close to non-existent.

For now all I'm able to think of and manage is the following:

はじめまして。

わたしのなまえはアッシュです。
にじゅうさんさいです。
わたしはにほんごがくせいです。
わたしのせんもんははんざいです。
にほんごをまなんでいます。

That's all I have, my vocabulary is somewhat limited and I'm following 'Genki I' for self-teaching; was using Rosetta Stone but it's hard to interpret it's meanings for a lot of things.

Thanks for helping!

Additional Details:

Thanks for replying and answering and I am taking your advice into major consideration and will adapt my learning method accordingly. My only question that I really have now is: As for Kanji, is there any tips or advice for studying it that you can suggest?

Thanks again.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    For writing an introduction you need to work on your 自己紹介-desu.
    http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/chapter1_summary

Hi Ash,
    Since ロマン534-san has already answered to your question, I'd like to make small suggestions to your sentences.

はじめまして。

わたしのなまえはアッシュです。
    にじゅうさんさいです。
    わたしはにほんごがくせいです。--> にほんごを べんきょうしている / まなんでいる がくせい
    わたしのせんもんははんざいです。--> はんざいがく(はんざい=crime、はんざいがく=criminology)
    (にほんごをまなんでいます。)

I would say: はじめまして。わたし(のなまえ) はアッシュです。23さいのがくせいです。にほんごをまなんでいます。せんもんははんざいがくです。よろしくおねがいします。

About "Genki", you can say わたしはげんきです(I'm fine.) and (あなたは)げんきですか (How are you?).

Anyway, please enjoy learning! I hope this was helpful. Good luck!