Could you please help to explain the word "た” and "だ”?

My Japanese friend and I were texting to each other this morning and he told me he had to work today. So I wanted to text back with " You are such a poor kid...." sort of joking.

The online dictionary says " 本当にかわいそうな子だ。”
I understand everything except the last three words.
What is な and だ in this context? How do I use them in other situations?

Sorry, i'm an absolute beginner for Japanese but trying to pick up little things here and there.

For learning: Japanese
Base language: Japanese

Answers

Hi!!
    In these context are connective.
    I think "na" and "da" are coneectives. The "da" usually finish the sentence.
    For exemple: Sore wa nan da? / Okane wo atsumarun da / Oyatsu wa kyukei no jikan dake da.
    It's complicated I teach clearly here. In a few days when you learn more, you will not understand the endings of sentences containing slang. Like: "nammen jyane". Because these words are not found in the dictionary. But over the time you will learn and everything will be is easier!
    Good luck in japanese. (^^)/

Hugs from Brasil!

Hmm, what Wanessa said about not being able to find slangs in dictionary is true.

According to your question:
    な is the Japanese adjective. For example, "small" is 小さい (chiisai) but if you want to say a "small car" then you would have to change it to an adjective in Japanese. So it will be 小さな車 (chiisana kuruma). More examples=> 大きい=> 大きな, ハンサム=>ハンサムな etc...

And だ is just the informal way of saying ~です. Example, これは小さな車です。=>これは 小さな車だ。

You can find a very nice explanation about な in this link:
    http://www.guidetojapanese.org/adjectives.html#part2

About だ, you can find some nice examples in this page. Press Ctrl+F and paste this sentence
    "Practice: Repeat the previous exercise, this time using informal speech."
    after you go to this page:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Lessons/Introduction/Konnichiwa/Noun_predicates

I hope my answers were helpful (and not confusing ;P)! Please look at those links I provided when you have sufficient amount of time. Don't make yourself too busy when learning something new!
    See you soon. ^_^