about Sie and Du.

Hey guys. I'm a beginner of Germany language, so I wanna know how to use Sie and Du. What kind of person do you say Sie and Du to?

Additional Details:

Thank you guys for answering me^^
Then I have one more question. because there are some way to say "you" in Chinese and Japanese. In Chinese if you are one of my friends or family, or stranger, I will call you "formal you". And you are customer or someone on business, I'll call you "informal you" (At least in Taiwan. I do not know in case of China, but I guess it's like in Taiwan). And in Japan, It's more complicated, and depends on people.
So in German if the partner is stranger, you definitely call "Sie"??

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The correct usage of "Sie" and "Du" is even difficult for us Germans. The first answer here ("Sie" for strangers, "Du" for family members or friends) already gives you a good hint when to use the correct word. You can also ask yourself if you want to call someone by his first name (then typically use "Du") or by his family name (then use "Sie"). There are a lot of exceptions, for example a child that wants to express some respect to an adult person often use "Sie" even if they both know each other well. Or in branches of American companies in Germany the employees call each other with first name and "Du" even if they have never seen each other before. If you have some doubts whitch word is correct, then a good rule is to start with "Sie" and listen what the other person is using in the conversation. In a conversation people often start with "Sie", and then one of the persons (typically the older one) offers his conversation partner the usage of "Du".

Sie is also equivalent to the englsih she.