Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

which one is correct and why?

he has accidentally identified the author of the book.
or
he identified the author of the book accidentally.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    They both are correct and have the same meaning. With different punctuation and capitalization I would interpret the second sentence the way Mike did: He identified the author of the book "Accidentally". (Technically the title should be underlined or in italics instead of quotes, but I can't do that here.)

I believe in the first statement you are saying the the author was identified by accident which is correct. However, in the second sentence I think the meaning can be misconstrued. The identification of the author was not by accident rather it was the title of the book. I think you would need the second sentence like this to mean the same as the first:
    He identifed the author of the book by accident.