Is there any difference in describing the result of something?

The chances of survival of this person were slightly lowered because he or she now had only one kidney and if that kidney became diseased there would not be a healthy kidney in reserve. So/Therefore/ Thus, he or she would certainly die.

1. Is there any difference when I use 'so', 'therefore' or 'thus' in the last sentence?

2. Does the last sentence make sense in its context?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting

Although they are all conjunctions to tell the results of situations, there is a slight difference.

'So' tells us the result of what has been said.
    'Therefore' means 'Because this happened, this will happen.'
    'Thus' means 'As a result of this, ...'

"So/Therefore/ Thus, he or she would certainly die."

All of the words would make sense in this sentence. I think the best out of the three conjunctions to go with this sentence is 'thus'. Although, 'thus' isn't commonly used among the newer generations. 'So' is much more common.

SIDE NOTES:

"The chances of survival of this person were slightly lowered because he or she now had only one kidney and if that kidney became diseased there would not be a healthy kidney in reserve."

You wrote a run-on sentence. People are usually penalized in essays for writing run-on sentences. You need to shorten the sentence:

The chances of survival for this person were slightly lowered. This is because he or she now had only one kidney. If that kidney became diseased, he/she would not survive.

I did not know what you meant by "there would not be a healthy kidney in reserve" but I assume you mean that he/she would die.