Para or Por

Which is right?

"Para mí" or "por mí" when I'm saying "for me".

"Para estudiar" or "por estudiar" when I'm saying "to study".

I'm totally confused....

For learning: Spanish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Oops, accidentally wrote it as a comment instead of an answer.
    It depends on context, but it is "para" for both instances there. Here is a helpful page for figuring out which to use: http://spanish.about.com/cs/grammar/a/porpara.htm

Hi, it depends on the context, but in each case the meaning could be the next:

"Para" - When you recieve something. For example "Este regalo es para mi". "Esta revista la compré para ti". In both cases "mi" and "ti", you're recieving somthing.

"Por" - When you do something. For example "Este regalo es para ti". "Esta revista la compre por ti". In both cases "ti" is another person but isn't you.

The distinction por vs. para is a tricky part of the Spanish language. I already treated that topic in italki here : http://www.italki.com/discussion/66295

So you will have to study the different usages of por and para (there are good resources to do that) to know when to use either of them. Most of the time "for me" is "para mí", but there are other instances when you have to say "por mí" to translate "for me". Fore example, "por" is used to express cause. Sometimes the distinction between cause (por) and purpose or objective (para) is blurred, but there are some clear examples. You usually say "te sacrificaste por mí" when meaning "you sacrificed yourself for me". The "cause" meaning of that for is seen in the fact that it can be replaced with "for the sake of..." (you sacrificed yourself for my sake). So you'll have to study all the different usages of para and por.

With infinitives it's more or less the same. Most of the time you use "para+inf", specially when meaning purpose or objective (it's usually translated as to+verb in English:trabajo para ganar dinero=I work to earn money), but there are sometimes when the "cause" meaning appears, for example: "te lo mereces por portarte mal"="you deserve it for behaving badly".

Seems random but is very simple

"PARA" is used to express a goal, destiny, or consecuence from or about something. Think in it as : "to" - "in order to" - "for the sake of..."

*Is required cooperation in order to solve this problem.
    Se requiere cooperacion para resolver este problema

"POR" is used for express that something is or was done by a reason, or supported in something or someone else.

* The device shall be operated by movement of the handle
    El dispositivo funcionará por el movimiento de la perilla
    * approval by the governement
    aprobado por el gobierno

In fact, in Spanish exists this expression:
    "Lo hice por mí y para mí" - It means - "I did it for me by myself"