Verb "còn" in Vietnamese, when to use it.

Hello!

The verb "to be" can be translated in many different verbs in Vietnamese, according to what we intend to say. One of them is "còn" and I would like to know when it is proper to use it.

In an online dictionary, I read the sentence:
"Khi tôi còn nhỏ"
which translates to : "when I was little". I know that the verb "là" isn't used with adjectives, so what is the purpose of "còn"? It seems to indicate a previous state, "was".

Thank you :))

For learning: Vietnamese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I. CÒN has something to do with NOT ... YET.

1) CÒN + noun: Bạn CÒN tiền không? Do you still have money left? (You have NOT used up you money YET?)

2) CÒN + adj: Khi tôi còn nhỏ. When I was young/little (When I did NOT get old YET)

II. SAO CÒN + verb = DON'T (PERSISTENTLY) =

1) Sao còn đứng đó? Why are you still standing there? (Don't persistently stand there! (just go for example))

"còn" is used when you want to talk about something in the past: " khi tôi còn nhỏ"
    or about something is still happenning at saying moment,: " tôi vẫn còn/ (đang) học Tiếng Việt", " tôi vẫn còn đói, " tôi còn tiền" ...

3. CÒN + verb/be: Khi còn là sinh viên (when I was a student = when I have NOT been a worker YET). Khi còn làm ở đó (When I worked there = When I have NOT work here YET)

More open questions for learning Vietnamese