what are the differences between old Hebrew and modern Hebrew?

For learning: Hebrew

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I'm not sure which Hebrew you mean by Old? The Hebrew the bible is using? what exactly are you referring to by old?
    If it's the bible, then since I'm no linguistic, my answer will not be based on science. Meaning, I want to stress that I haven't learned much about the history of the language.
    With that, I can understand most words in the bible. some words are different, but close enough to understand.
    Modern words were added when Eliezer Ben Yehuda relieved the language of course.

I suppose there would be something online if you researched.

Hebrew is one of the oldest languages that is still spoken in the world. Through out history it has evolved, the earliest records of ancient Hebrew shows that it use to a hieroglyphic language like ancient Egyptian. Hebrew is a Semitic language like Arabic and Aramaic and ancient Hebrew differs in it's grammar and sentence structure compared to Modern Hebrew. But don't worry Hebrew hasn't changed much. Just like Miri said, even though I don't know Biblical Hebrew so well, I mostly studied Modern Hebrew when I read the Bible in Hebrew I can understand most of it. If you want to know more about Modern Hebrew it's a good idea to read about Eliyahu Ben Yehuda who brought back to life a ancient language that is now spoken daily by millions of people. Never in the history of the world has a ancient language been revived like this.

The differences are too many to note directly, but the general idea is not unlike any other language that developed and evolved through the ages.
    The vocabulary is more or less the same all across (some words go out of fashion, new concepts are introduced, very few words change their meaning).
    Sentence structures change somewhat, but they're based upon similar logic.

Also note that while modern Hebrew is relatively well codified and understood between all speakers (owing mostly to not being spread across continents...), there's no single "Old Hebrew" dialect. The Torah depicts events allegedly taking place millenia before it was written, and the last parts of the bible were written centuries after it - some of them in Aramaic, even.