Please help me understand the sentence

I have this sentence from a game:
魔王の最期の言葉が世に広まれば、人々はこれからも怯えたまま暮らしていかねばならないだろう。

From what I can tell it says something like:

"If the demon king's last words spread throughout the world, people would continue living in fear [can't make much sense of the last part]"

Can anyone help me with this? Please explain the way the words in the second part of the sentence are connected and the forms used there - I'm especially interested in grammar.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Your translation is almost perfect! If I add some explanations from a point of grammar, 「~ねばならない」 means "have to ~" or "must ~". So the phrase:「暮らしていかねばならない」 can be divided into these two parts:「暮らしていく」+「~ねばならない」. So the second sentence means "people will/would (still) have to continue to live in fear. "
    I hope you have a great time with a Japanese RPG!
    I'm not a native speaker, and they probably know better than I do, but another way to think about is to look at the grammatical construction for "must":

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/must

Basically, for "must not do X" you use "if you do X, it won't come to anything (good)":
    "X-eba naranai" or "X-eba ikenai". The -eba form is one of the conditionals.

For "must do X", you use a double negation and negate X as well, as in "if you don't do X, it won't come to anything".

If you negate "iku", you get "ikanai", and the conditional is "ikanakereba", as Shuntaro-san has already said. That's why ku changes to ka. The vowel a followed by n already indicates the negation, so shortening it to "ikan(aker)eba" doesn't loose any important information: both the negation and the conditional indicators are still clearly recognizable.

If you want to learn more about Japanese grammar, I can only recommend reading all of http://www.guidetojapanese.org/. I found it incredibly helpful.