Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Is 言語交換(げんごこうかん) The correct phrase for "Language Exchange" in Japanese?

If I were asking someone if they wanted to do a language exchange, I feel like I'm at a loss for the correct phrase in Japanese and I have to rely on the other person knowing enough English. Would asking 日本語と英語を言語交換ませんか? sound natural and appropriate?  I'm as always, suspicious of my particle usage.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi Ben!

It is not so strange that you cannot find the exact term for 'language exchange' in Japanese. We use English words:語学エクスチェンジ or ランゲージエクスチェンジ. If you want to ask someone if he/she is interested in language exchange, you can then ask:

「英語と日本語の語学エクスチェンジしませんか/やりませんか?」

The verb for language exchange in Japanese is 「する」「やる」generally speaking.

日本語の勉強がんばって!