Voiced and Voiceless Consonants

I have came across the section in my book on Voiced and Voiceless consonants and I understand how they work however the examples I was given for them confuse me. For example город. I know the voiceless counterpart is "k" so do I do I pronounce it with д or k at the end? Or does it depends on the word? Thank you to everyone in adcance

For learning: Russian

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    There are six pairs of voiced and voiceless consonants in the Russian language. Those are:
    б-п
    в-ф
    г-к
    д-т
    ж-ш
    з-с

There are three rules you need to remember:
    1) If a word ends in a voced consonant, this voiced consonant will be pronounced as its voiceless pair. For example
    город ends in д, which is voiced, so it should be pronounced as т, [горат]
    нож [нош]
    глаз [глас]

2) In the middle of word a voiced consonant that is followed by a voiceless consonant should be pronounced as its voiceless pair:
    автобус [афтобус] (voiced в is followed by voiceless т)
    юбка [юпка] (voiced б is followed by voiceless к)

3) In the middle of word a voiceless consonant that is followed by a voiced consonant should be pronounced as its voiced pair:
    футбол [фудбол] (voiceless т is followed by voiced б, so т should be pronounced as д)
    Voiced sounds [Г], [Д]
    Their voiceless counterparts are [К], [Т]
    To be clear, these are the sounds, not the letters written.
    That being said, in the word "город" the sound transcription would look like [горат], the first Г is voiced, the last Д is actually pronounced as T (voiceless).
    When you change its case to, for example, genitive "города" the Д is not the last letter anymore and it becomes voiced [д].

There are 11 pairs of voiced and voiceless consonant sounds in Russian. A voiced consonant should sound as voiceless at the end of the word. In your example the last voiced consonant is д, its voiceless counterpart is т (д - т). So the word "город" sounds as [гОрат].
    Voiceless к makes a pair with voiced г (г - к), but it's the beginning of the word "город". For example, "рог" sounds as [рОк] according to this rule.