mögen & gefallen

What is the actual difference between these two verbs? I have noticed these verbs can mean, when put in context, 'to like.' Can they be used interchangeably?

And one more question: my grammar says 'gefallen' only takes an indirect object in the dative case and no subject in the nominative case, but I have seen, and also been told, that 'gefallen' can be used as a regular verb, as well. If so, which way is more correct, or more formal: the verb 'gefallen' taking an indirect object in the dative case for a normal subject, or the verb 'gefallen' taking a subject in the nominative case as most German verbs do?

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    We say:

Das Bild gefällt mir.

mir = indirect object > dative case

Wer oder Was gefällt mir? > das Bild = nominative case

Here, gefallen is used in the meaning of: to like something / some-one.

b) fallen - fiel - gefallen

Die Preise sind in den letzten Monaten gefallen.

Here, gefallen is the Past Perfect of the verb fallen . The sentence expresses that the prices went down / senk over the last few months.

2. mögen / gefallen
    These verbs mean the same:

Das Bild gefällt mir. OR: Ich mag das Bild. - Both sentences mean: I like the picture. The only difference here is that in the second sentence, "das Bild " is an accusative object, in the second sentence "das Bild" is nominative.

More resolved questions for learning German