combine 2 sentences -- using which/whose

I want to combine the below two sentences into one complex sentence.
1. I know quite a few English words.
2. However, I can only tell their basic meanings and I don't know if I can use them in a particular scenario/context

I want to try the 'there be' pattern, can I say:
There are quite a few English words that I can only tell their basic meanings, and I don't know if I can use them in a particular scenario/context.

I am sure I can make myself understood to most English speakers, but I don't think the sentence above is grammatically correct. What does the 'that' in ' words that I can only tell...' denote? If the answer is 'words', then the sub-clause could be expanded as ' I can only tell -- the words -- their basic means , which is grammatically wrong. Am I right?

Another way to combine it as I can think of is:
There are quite a few English words whose basic meanings I can only tell --> but this doesn't sound correct to my ears, although I don't know why.
Thanks in advance!

Additional Details:

I want to use which/whose to combine these two sentences. Can I do that?

Answers

OOPT

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "I am familiar with many English words, but I do not know if I fully understand their definitions in every grammatical context."

"As far as I know, there are quite a few English words that possess complex definitions, and I can not tell if I am using them correctly every time."

"I can only tell" is an idiomatic phrase that denotes some limitation of our knowledge or experience. Think of it this way in the literal sense: "I was told a long and complicated story this morning. It was too much for me to remember, so I can only tell you about it's ending, because I do not remember it's beginning."
    Other uses of "tell": "Only time will tell how this works-out." "I saw him kiss that guy's wife, but I will never tell!" "Do you know how to tell time?" "It was so dark last night that I could not tell where I was, and walked into that ditch over there."