"Too" emphasizes "many" in here? So it expresses countless years?

For too many years, our council has been unimportant and irresponsible. Well, I say it's time that we started speaking out and making some much-needed changes around here. And electing Stella Stan is the best way to begin!

1)Too many years

2) I don't understand "around here" in the second line. Isn't "Around here" used in the physical situation like "I can't find the book around here," Is it?

Please help me!! Thanks!!^ ^

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Here, I think that "too many years" implies that the council has been irresponsible for too long and that there needs to be a change! "too" does not just mean countless, it makes me think of saying "너무" in korean. So, it is a bad thing to be going on for such a long time and it is time to change and break the pattern.

Also, you are correct with your interpretation of the usage of "around here". In this passage, I believe that "around here" is saying within the office or organization where the election is happening. (so yes! it means "around here" as in the physical space, as well as the organization ).

I hope this makes sense! Feel free to message me if it does not :) 화이팅! ^^