a little but troubling question about gerund

When we want to modify a gerund, actually we could use both adj. and adv., which I totally understand. But, what about the position of these 2 kinds of modifier?
I believe that when we use adj. to modify gerund, it must be in front of this gerund.
e.g. excellent writing; good working; quick thinking, etc.
and I believe that when we use adv. to modify gerund, it has to be after this gerund.
e.g. writing silently(can't be silently writing, and if so, it's not gerund no more, right?); working hard; thinking quickly, etc.

so about above theory, am I correct? I really need a native to answer this kind of question. Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hi DanielYuan, you're right. Every example I can think of consistently uses adjectives before the gerund and adverbs after the gerund. I don't think "writing silently" would work just as an example, as in "he is writing silently," since that's just a verb in progressive form. But a good example I found is "I don't like speaking softly when there is no need."

I hope that helps, and also good on you for your response. Most natives DO learn some grammar, even if most of it comes naturally. A gerund, if Gary reads this, is a verb that functions as a noun in its -ing form, as in "his writing." There are professional teachers on italki that could if they wanted answer this question. No need to answer with I don't know.

More resolved questions for learning English