What is the difference between "ser" and "estar"?

I am learning Spanish, but I have difficulties on when to use the verb "ser" and when "estar".

For learning: Spanish

Answers

Hi Irene its very easy.
    I´m tall ....SER .We use SER to describe for example our personality or our appearance.
    I´m at home......ESTAR.We use ESTAR to say the place where we are
    Irene my name is Carlos i could help you with your spanish and you could help me with my english if you want through Skype, I wait for answer bye my friend

Son dos verbos muy complicados...pero quizas esto te ayude.
    SER---DO IT: Description (soy alta), Origin (soy de salamanca), Identity (soy Ester, soy profesora), Time (son las 10 )
    ESTAR---HELP: Health ( estoy enferma),Emotions ( estoy feliz, estoy triste), Location ( Salamanca esta en Castilla y Leon), Present Progresive ( estoy trabajando)

Estar. This verb is used to define HOW, WHERE, WHEN something (person or object) is. It is used almost always when it happens (happened or will happen) in a specific time.

Ser. This verb is used to define HOW, WHAT, WHO something (person or object) is. It is used when you talk about something that lasts for a fairly long amount of time.

¿Cómo estás? Estoy bien.
    ¿Cómo eres? Soy amable.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hola Irene, spanish is my mother language so I hope I could help you !!
    When doubts about the use of one of these two verbs is associate "SER" with the essence and "ESTAR" with the state. In other words: "SER" attributed to subject something that is part of its essence, something permanent, while "ESTAR" attributes a state, a feature that is not her own but only transient.

Hi,

It's a bit confusing and requires spoken practice to correctly use both words, but here is my advice:

Ser: use it when you talk about people and their characteristics. For instance: él es ruidoso (he is + adjective), ella es sentimental (she is + adjective), ellos son divertidos (they are + adjective)

Estar: use it when you talk about things and their state of being. For instance: el cielo esta nublado (the sky is cloudy), la comida esta fría (the food is cold), esos tomates están helados (those tomatoes are frozen)

You can start in this way and then try to practice speaking to discover how to use the words properly.

Hope that helps!