In learning Chinese-How do you Overcome...

Been learning Chinese for two years but still make tons of mistakes in writing. And also when I either speak or write I tend to not express myself naturally (ie misusing vocab).
So what to do? I read and listen to a lot of Chinese, and practice speaking, but still the progress is slow.
I wonder if the problem is that I started learning Chinese too late. I'm past university age :(
What do you think?
What would you as a native speaker, suggest for improvement?

Answers

Hi Xialin!

I'm not a native speaker but I've been studying Chinese for three years, during which I adopted and improved my own way of studying Chinese.
    I'd say first of all that even if they tell you that you must be young enough to become fluent in any language, it's only partially true: you see, there is a say in 'language acquisition' that goes "younger is faster, older is better"; so your chances of getting good on Chinese are not based on how old are you, but instead (and most importantly) on how much comprehensible is the input of Chinese.

In short, you just need to start from the basics even with the material you make use of, like starting with a Chinese cartoon for children, otherwise you might fall in what linguists call 'interference', which is incredibly variable and brings advantages half the time.

Last but not least, it has been demonstrated that learners of a foreign language so different as English-Chinese tend to learn slower than someone who is learning say English-French, but they improve faster over time (for me it was two years).

Now that I rambled for too much, even I wish to know more about suggestions for improvement from native speakers ^-^

We learn a language in order to communicate.One of the most difficult aspects of learning a language is properly expressing your ideas in the correct manner.You are going well and just need more practice.May be you need more practice and a right way .
    Proper pronunciation, intonations, and stresses are integral parts of learning a language.For language learning, say, the usefulness is obvious.
    Always remember that nothing is too difficult if you put your heart into it.Where there is a will,there is a way.

我们学习语言是为了交流思想。学习一门语言最困难的一个方面是如何用正确的方式表达自己的想法。你很好,只是需要更多的练习。也许你需要更多的练习和一个正确的方法。
    正确的发音,语调,重度是学习语言不可分离的部分。对于语言学习,说,显然是非常有用的。
    永远记住,世上无难事,只怕有心人。有志者事竟成。

as a non-native speaker i can suggest only one way to overcome any difficulties in learning a foreign language:

practice more

Mandarin is difficult to learn ,you‘d better speak and practice the new words usually you’ve learnt to enhance your understanding. come on ,let‘s join hands to forge ahead !

As a Chinese teacher, I would like to suggest you some textbooks for learning Chinese: 1)新实用汉语课本 New Practical Chinese Reader, this textbook focuses on conversation more. I prefer to choose this textbook when I am teaching Chinese in foreign countries, . 2) 汉语教程。 Most Chinese universities in China use this textbook for teaching foreign students Chinese language. This textbook focuses on grammar more, but it is not that easy if you are learning by yourself.

Just for making conversation, large vocabulary is needed. even the sentences may sound weird, native speakers still understand you.
    If you really want to speak normally, or maybe try to take part in some competitions(The Chinese Bridge), learning grammar well is the point. Like why do we say 明天我们去游泳 or 我们明天去游泳,why can't you say 我们去游泳明天? It‘s all about the Chinese grammar.
    祝你的汉语越来越好,加油!

listen, if you are not or will not be living in china, it seems it is impossible for you to speak as native speakers do. but it is fine. you dont have to.