Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

What does "mach dir mal" mean?

Someone said this to me in a chat and I can't find a good translation. Everything I find just tells me it means "do you times" and that doesn't make any sense. Is this a shorthand sentence? I got the gist - he wanted me to do something - but what am I missing?

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The word "mal" is used for softening commands.. it doesn't really have a translation.. we might say "just" in English. The word "machen" is very non-specific.. it's usually necessary to have an adverbial particle (phrasal verb) or know the context to translate it. With the info you've provided, I believe the translation would be something like "Just do it," or "Go for it."