Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

"My fault." and "My mistake."

What's the difference between the two expressions? They are similar, but I kind of sense that there is still some slight difference between them that I can tell clearly.Thanks for your help!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    If you say something is your fault, you take responsibility for what happened. It's my fault the car won't start. I left the the door ajar and the battery died. Saying "my mistake" usually just acknowledges an error. Suppose I greet someone by name and then realize I said the wrong name or mistook them for someone else. I could say, "Sorry, my mistake."