Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Difference between مازال and ظل

Can someone please explain me the difference between these two verbs? I received contradictory explanations... My teacher focused on the fact that مازال means "to still be", and ظل means "to continue to be", but I really have a hard time in grasping the practical difference. I only know that when you first use كان then you have to use مازال, but I wonder if that's all or there are things that make the difference. I asked a couple of friend of mine for clarification and one of them told me that "مازال" is for something you're still doing, whilst ظل is for something you kept doing for a while but are no longer doing... Is that true?
Thanks to all those who will answer.

For learning: Arabic

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I guess examples are better than lesson
    1 - ظلّ = keep on doing something = to continue doing something = to do something many time
    Examples:
    - We kept on driving all night = ظلّلنا نقود طوال الليل
    - That man keeps on looking at me = هذا الرجل ظلّ ينظر إلي
    2 - مازال = لايزال = still
    Examples:
    - Do you still live in London? = هل مازلت (لازلت) تعيش في لندن؟
    - Is it still raining? = هل مازالت (لازالت) تمطر؟

That's all.

hello :D
    the diffrence between the two words "ظل " and " مازال " just the period like your friend told you