낮이고 밤이고 - could anyone help?

Hello everyone!

Today I faced the sentence - "... 낮이고 밤이고 일해요"

So, I clearly understand the translation, but one thing that confuses me the most - why does "이고" construction being used in there?
Why do we need to add 이다 copula to the nouns in this case instead of writing it as "낮에도 밤에도 일해요"?

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hi there.

I think this is more of an idiomatic construction rather than an actual well-grammatically-constructed expression. When you look it up on 네이버 ( http://bit.ly/1n6yo6y ), you find an entry for it, which seems to motivate this hypothises.
    I think you ought to treat it like you would 'day and night' in English. You're not saying 'at day and at night', which your literal translation would imply, but you just go for a shorter version that can stand as a time complement on its own (e.g. 'I spend day and night working on my project')

Hope that helped.