When do you use 어 and 야 at the end of present tense verbs?

I'm learning present tense and so far I learned that at the end of verbs you must take the stem and add 어 to make it present tense, but sometimes I see 야 used instead.

For example, I was trying to write, "Good to meet you" so I wrote:
너는 좋 만나어
But the translator corrected me and wrote:
너는 좋 만나야

Is there a difference between when to use these two or did I make an error when writing this?

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I'm not sure if the sentences you used as examples are right, but I'm guessing the translator is correcting you informally. 야 is a common ending for a lot of verbs when speaking to someone you are older than or close to.

So for example, "where are you" politely is 어디에요, and informally is 어디야. Another example would be "what is this," which would be 이거 뭐예요 politely and 이거 뭐야 informally. Got it?

I don't really understand that rule about making verbs present tense using 어 because that's not the only way of doing it. If you go here ( http://www.howtostudykorean.com/unit1/unit-1-lessons-1-8/unit-1-lesson-6/ ) they have good examples of conjugating verbs.

I don't understand very well what's the 어/야 , but I guess there's a misunderstanding between you and your translater according to the sentences.
    Anyway,
    "Good to meet you"- (너를) 만나서 반가워/반가워요/반갑습니다
    or (너를) 만나서 좋아/좋아요

More resolved questions for learning Korean