Tagalog prefixes, past present and future tense, when and how do I use them?

Hi everyone, I am having difficulty with Tagalog prefixes when to and what to use after a verb. I hope you could help me understand better on the rules
Nagpa-

Mag-

Magpa-

Nagpapa-

Nagkaka-

Naka-

Nakaka-

Nakikipag-

Na-

Nag-

Pang

Pag-
I am also finding it difficulty on when to use them when talking past or future tense, I am begining to understand present tense a bit better though.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For learning: Filipino (Tagalog)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    You're dealing with at least five kinds of conjugations here: agent (mag-), causative (magpa-), social (nakikipag-), abilitative (nagkaka- and na-), qualitative (also na-) and then pang- and pag- which create gerunds. I can give you a basic layout of these in their respective aspects, where CV~ stands for the reduplicated first syllable of the verb or adjective root.

Agent mag- is used to focus on the doer of any verb/action.

Imperative/command: mag-
    Past: nag-
    Present: nagCV~
    Future: magCV~

Causative magpa- focuses on the agent that caused an action to be done.

magpa-
    nagpa-
    nagpapa-
    magpapa-

Social makipag- focuses on plural actors of the same action simultaneously.

makipag-
    nakipag-
    nakikipag-
    makikipag-

Abilitative magka- focuses on the doer of an action, specifically on their ability to perform said action.

magka-
    nagka-
    nagkaka-
    magkaka-

Abilitative ma- focuses on the action that the doer had to ability to perform.

No imperative form
    na-
    naCV~
    maCV~

Qualitative ma- focuses on the state of the actor or object taking on a state of being (adjective).

No imperative form
    na-
    naCV~
    maCV~

Gerunds formed with pag- and pang- are abstract nouns from verbs. Pang- gerunds are specifically habitual actions. When used with mag- forms of verbs, you would form a gerund using pagCV~, while pang- gerunds are formed from agent focus mang- verbs.

You may find some, if not all, of the explanations you are looking for on this site:

http://www.phrasebase.com/archive2/tagalog/tagalog-prefixes.html

More open questions for learning Filipino (Tagalog)