What's the actual difference between "noget" and "nogen"?

I can't seem to find a proper explenation. My danish grammar book is really confusing when it comes to this topic, it even says that "nogen" refers to particular abstract things (?). Therefore I need to ask this question here. "Nogle" is quite clear to me, by the way.

For learning: Danish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi Mateusz
    I'm not surprised that you find it difficult!
    Here are some rules of thumb.

When you mean "someone" or "anyone" you must use nogen. For example: Er her nogen? Nogen har taget mine nøgler.

If the subject is an "en" word, use nogen. For example: Jeg kan ikke se nogen bil. (en bil).

If the subject is an "et" word, or if it's uncountable noun, use noget. For example: Jeg kan ikke se noget hus. (et hus). Jeg har noget vand. Her er noget sukker. (vand and sukker are both uncountable nouns, like in English).

I hope it helps.