translation and subtitles

The other day I had a long discussion with a Serbian „friend“ who is learning German. He would not accept the fact that there are two words when it comes to films „translation“ and „subtitles“. Is there really no word for „subtitles“ in Serbian?
For me a translation of sth. and a subtitle of a film (which is most of the time not a correct translation due to the „principles“ of film) are two different things: A reason that I, personally, do not find watching films with subtitles a great tool for learning languages.

For learning: Serbian
Base language: Serbian

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    To me, when a film is "translated" it's converted over ORALLY to the target language, (all the actors are dubbed over and it "sounds" like they are speaking German, French, etc."

Sub titles are WRITTEN on the screen and I can read them.