How do you become fluent in italian?

I'm taking university classes in italian, but it's hard to get even close to fluency. I adore Roberto Benigni films, but I can't understand them as well as I would like to. How do I close the gap on comprehension?

Grazie.

For learning: Italian

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    That depends on what your specific comprehension problem is. Is it the grammar? Is it the lexicon? Is it the spoken language? Probably it's all three in different amounts. If you you don't need to speak, then extensive listening and reading might work miracles. Of course you'll also benefit a lot from interactions with native speakers. But speaking is a much more demanding challenge than comprehension.

I think that Benigni is not so easy to understand due to his strong Tuscan accent (and he also speaks quite quickly). Help yourself with Italian subtitles first, then try again without them.