A doubt

I'm doing a test and I have to choose the correct sentence between the following two:

1) I'd rather you didn't smoke in here, if you don't mind.

2) I'd rather you don't smoke in here, if you don't mind.

The answer key says the correct one is sentence number 2 but to me it sounds better sentence number 1. Am I right?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    You are right. The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is wrong.

This is an example of 'unreal' time, sometimes considered to be a type of subjunctive, and the form is the same as the past tense.

I'd rather you didn't open the window.
    I'd rather you left now.

It's similar to the past tense used in sentences such as 'I wish I had' or 'It's time you found a job.'

the second one is the correct sentence because you are talking to someone in the present , you are asking him to not smoke , so you'll use I'd rather you don't smoke in here, if you don't mind. which means in other words i would prefer that you don't smoke here ...

More resolved questions for learning English