Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

"... der DFB könnte sie reformieren."

"Die Fifa hat ein Glaubwürdigkeitsproblem, der DFB könnte sie reformieren." (source: http://www.zeit.de/sport/2014-06/niersbach-zwanziger-dfb-wm-2014)

How could I translate the second part of the sentence: "... der DFB könnte sie reformieren"? I'm particularly bewildered by "der" and "sie". "Der" seems to be a relative pronoun, but it is not in the accusative (as I think it should have been), and "sie" seems to be in the accusative too, though I wouldn't bet my life on it.

So please help me unravel all this.

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Maybe you're confused because that are two main clauses just connected with a comma. Normally I guess you could add a simple, plain " und" or maybe a "aber" (which would make it a subclause (but which wouldn't change the word order in this case) between them.
    Anyway, the translation:
    The DFB could reform them.

"Der DFB" is actually nominative and yes, "sie" is accusative (referring to FIFA, I guess). Hopefully this helps.