What does this sentence mean?

OOPT 

Could anyone (native German speaker please) help me with the sentence "Der Leasingnehmer ist auch über das Vertragsende hinaus ermächtigt und verpflichtet, alle fahrzeugbezogenen Ansprüche aus einem Schadenfall im eigenen Namen und auf eigene Kosten geltend zu machen"? I don't quite understand the meaning of the phrase "über das Vertragsende hinaus", is it "after the agreement expures" or I understood it incorrectly? And the next part - "geltend zu machen" - does it mean "to compensate, redeem"? Could anyone please explain the sentence? Thanks in advance for your help.

For learning: German

Answers

"über das Vertragsende":

das Vertragsende > end of contract

über das Vertragsende hinaus = a person has rights and duties after tge end of a contract.

....
    Ansprüche aus einem Schadenfall im eigenen Namen und auf eigene Kosten geltend zu machen"? > to claim damages

I believe that the sentence means that even after the leasing ends, the person having had the lease has to come up for any damages present with his own money. But it is written in a quite complicated, laywerly German...