Hindi past tense word "Ne"

What is the simplest way to remember when to use "ne" and when not to use "ne" in Hindi past tense?

I know that intransitive verbs do not use "ne" such as "chalna" (main chale and main chalee-- I walked)
and transitive verbs use "ne" such as "khana" (mai ne khaae and mai ne khaee-- I ate)

However, is there is simpler shortcut to this rule? I still become confused between what is transitive and what is intransitive.
thanks!

For learning: Hindi

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi Lara,

I still get confused by this too, but one thing I try to do is ask myself a question while studying a new verb. "What?"

For example:

I went to the store.( Mein dukan gayi/a) Vs. I ate a sandwhich. (Mein ne sandwhich khaya)

In the first sentence if you ask "I went...what? It doesn't make sense because the subject isn't acting on anything. You went to a *place*.

In the second example you are acting on something. "I ate....what? (A sandwich).

Like I said, this is still tricky for me too, but I thought I'd share in case it helped. Best of luck!

-Ashley

Well, this is the only rule for This tense and the only thing you can do is just practice with a native speaker.

Practicing a lot will make your mind to react on them automatically without in a short time.

ने(new) - Nominative case (karta karak) - doer of the action
    Easy trick - you can look at ने like passive voice 'done by me'.
    Meaning - you already did that thing in the past and you are telling someone about it.
    It is another form of 'by'(द्वारा)
    e.g. This work is done by me = Mera dwara yeh kaam kiya gaya - or simply using 'ne'(ने) - maine yeh kaam kiya.
    You already did it in the past and you are telling someone about it.
    Try to convert the sentences in your head and see if it works.