Meaning of "mới" in two sentences

Hello, I asked a friend outside Italki about the meaning of "mới" in the following two sentences and she couldn't not find it. I understand the rest of the words and their role, simply not what this abovementionned word change to the meaning, or what it adds. Please don't simply give a translation, add an explanation as well, if there is any ^_^ .

Sent. 1: Thỉnh thoảng ăn phở mới ngon, chớ ăn hoài không ngon chút nào.
(A guess: I read in a dictionary that mới sometimes means "really")

Sent. 2: Dạo này anh ấy thường làm việc mãi đến khuya mới đi ngủ.
(I have no idea for this one, perhaps it means... "before"???)

In case you need a translation, I can provide one, just leave a comment. The meaning of the two "mới" isn't necessarly supposed to be identical.

For learning: Vietnamese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    This is an interesting grammatical point in Vietnamese. Look at these examples and you will get the idea of "____only THEN can you _____" (Sorry I don't have a Viet keyboard)
    1. Toi hoc xong moi di choi duoc. I study finished ONLY THEN I can go out.
    2. Anh ay an roi moi di hoc duoc. He finished eating ONLY THEN can he study.
    3.Toi hoc tieng Viet lau qua moi hieu duoc. I study Vietnames a long time ONLY THEN I can understand

I hope this helps, Bud Brown

Sent 1: We often use it in speaking, not writing or in formal case. Use "mới" as a "to be" to emphasize and confirm the correctness of the sentence. It's a type of conditional sentence.
    The phrase/word before "mới" is the condition, and the phrase/word after "mới" is the resault
    For example:
    Bạn phải học chăm (thì) mới giỏi
    Anh phải làm xong việc (thì) mới được về
    Chơi thể thao (thì) mới khỏe được

Sent 2: (typing)
    If you have further question, I will try to explain it as much as I can :D

Hi Valeuraph,

In my opnion, the word "mới" has just one meaning in both sentences above. It means "just" or "only". Let's see my translations.

Thỉnh thoảng ăn phở mới ngon, chớ ăn hoài không ngon chút nào.
    "Phở" is just/only tasty when we eat it sometimes, it's not tasty anymore when we eat it regularly.

Dạo này anh ấy thường làm việc mãi đến khuya mới đi ngủ.
    Recently he often goes to sleep just/only after working until midnight.

Does it make sense to you now?