What is the best description of the word "Naman"?

I understand it is widely used in many scenarios, but can anybody explain it in detail to me? Maraming salamat sa lahat. :)

For learning: Filipino (Tagalog)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    6. It may suggest that something can be done after doing something.
    Example: Pagkatapos kong kumain, gusto ko namang uminom ng juice. (After I eat the food, I would like to drink some juice.)

7. It may mean a succession.
    Example: Kapag natapos akong maglaro nitong robot, ikaw naman. (You can play with this robot after I play it.)

Ako naman ang magsasalita pagkatapos mo. (I will speak after you speak.)

8. It may be used to make somebody cautious about their situation.
    Example: Tipirin mo iyang pera mo. Wala ka pa namang ipon. (Be thrift with your mony. You didn't save). - the mood of this example is a part of the Filipino culture of not being pathetic about somebody or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NAMAN has a lot of meanings that I, myself, can't enumerate all of them. The truth is the meaning really depends on the context. It is also very intrinsic to the Filipino culture.

Hello,
    I don't speak Tagalog and so I cannot comment directly, but I did find this article that might be able to help you:
    http://tagaloglang.com/Tagalog-English-Dictionary/English-Translation-of-Tagalog-Word/naman.html

Hope this helps!

It's a common particle in Tagalog. There is no exact translation or equivalent in English but I can suggest some of its meanings based on the context.

1. It may mean the negative "again" when it comes after "na".

Example: Kumain ka na naman? (Did you eat again?)- means "Did you eat again after doing it before?"
    Na naman? (Again?) - negative response to a repeated bad action, not the same as "ulit"

2. It may mean "of course".
    Example: Q: Nag-aral ka na ba? (Have you studied already?) A: Oo naman. (Yes, of course)

3. It may exist in a sentence to express that something bad has happened despite of doing something for it.
    Example: Nag-aral naman ako nang mabuti pero bumagsak pa rin ako. (I studied well but I still didn't pass the exam.)

Minahal ko naman siya pero iniwan niya pa rin ako. (I loved her but she still left me.)

4. To express options (but not necessary).
    Example: May kanin dito. Kung ayaw mo naman ng kanin, puwede kang kumain ng tinapay. (We offer rice. If you don't like to eat the rice, you may opt to eat bread.)- It's good to introduce something first.

or Kung ayaw mo ng kanin, puwede ka namang kumain ng tinapay. (If you don't like to eat rice, of course, you may opt to eat eat bread

5. It may come after "okay" or "maayos/mabuti" to express an acceptable condition.
    Example: Q: Kumusta ang mangga? (How is the mango?)
    Ä: Okay naman. (It's good enough.)

Q: Kumusta ka?
    Ä: Mabuti naman. (I'm okay.)

Oh I forgot. It is true that NAMAN is also used to make not rude requests.

Example: Paabot NAMAN ng tubig. (Please get the water.)

Paabot ng tubig. (please get the water.) - this sounds a little bit rude or demanding even though you are already making a request.