Direct vs. Indirect Pronouns in Italian

I am uncertain about using pronouns in Italian.
I've read that the direct pronoun is used where 'to (pronoun)' would be used in English.
e.g. 'le parliamo'

However, I've come across other sentances with 'ai'/'a' etc - would the indirect be used there?
e.g. Laura prepara a Paolo il pranzo. (?)

Could you please explain to me in more detail?
Thanks for any help!

Additional Details:

* ... read that the *indirect* pronoun ...

For learning: Italian

Hey Frances,

I actually think it's the other way round of what you read (btw, where did you read it?): direct pronouns are used where there's no "to" in English, because "to" often corresponds in Italian to the preposition "a". In the sentence you wrote ("le parliamo") "le" stands as an indirect pronoun ("parliamo a lei". It would be "la" otherwise, like in "Paolo la vede" -Paolo sees her-, where you use the direct pronoun). So it makes sense that you use the indirect pronoun in a sentence with "ai/a".

Anyway, quite a lot of time has passed after I studied this at school, so I'd wait for more comments from the Italki community! :)