Can I say "びょいんをさがします"? Is that right?

If "なにをしているか" and "なにをしいますか" mean the same thing, can I say "びょいんをさがします"?
I'm having a hard time figuring out this. I've only learned verms in the forms of "-imasu" and the use of "iru" really has me puzzled.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi. I don't know I can answer this question completely. I think that "-iru" and "-imasu" are same, but there is a different point between them. "-imasu" is more polite language than "-iru". In Japan, we always change the words like "-iru" and "-imasu" to suit the occasion. Basically, we use "-imasu" to our superior for example, boss, our senior, or customer (when we wait on customer) and so on.
    "びょいんをさがします" If you mean びょいん is hospital, it's びょういん(Byo-u-i-n)
    "びょういんをさがします" means " I will look for the hospital" ,right?
    If you need help "Where is the hospital?" or "I'm looking for the hospital", it's びょういんをさがしています.

Hi,
    If someone asks you "what are you doing?" or "Can / May I help you?" while you are looking for the hospital, you can say びょういんをさがしています (= I'm looking for the hospital.)

I hope this helps you.

I've never understood why courses and many teachers do this, it's something I always criticize, why the hell are students taught verbs with the polite forms first? That's ridiculous. The best way to teach verbs is using the infinitive, teach them how to recognize the 2 verb categories and teach them how to find the STEM of the verb, once you know how to find the stem of a verb you can conjugate it in pretty much any way you want, plus the stem of a verb is commonly used for many things. Formal and informal forms must be taught at the same time. Dictionaries only use the infinitive which is in its informal form, not ~ます.

Divide the verbs like this, -ru and -u. If the verb ends in -eru/iru it's a -ru verb, if it doesn't end like that it's a -u verb.

たべる、おきる (taberu, okiru)

The stem of -ru verbs is found by simply dropping る, as simple as that, you get then たべ、おき, once you've found the stem you can add all the conjugations.
    ~ない (informal negative) たべない、おきない
    ~た ( infor. past) たべた、おきた
    ~なかった (past negative) たべなかった、おきなかった
    ~ます (formal present/future)
    ~ません (negative)
    ~ました (past)
    ~ませんでした (past negative)
    And you can add so many other things, add ~なさい to the stem and you've got the imperative, add ~て and you got the te-form, add ~たい and you can express ''want + verb'' たべたい ( I want to eat).

For -u verb the stem is found by turning the last sound into ~い
    うたう > うたい
    まなぶ > まなび
    まつ > まち
    のむ > のみ
    しぬ > しに
    きく > きき
    およぐ > およぎ
    なおる > なおり
    はなす > はなし
    Now you've got the stem, you can add all the ~ます forms that way, ~なさい, etc.

However, for the past and the negative tense things change a lil' bit.

To form the negative turn the last sound into あ from the infinitive
    うたう > うたわない (If it ends in う it becomes わ)
    まなぶ > まなばない
    まつ > またない
    のむ > のまない
    しぬ > しなない
    きく > きかない
    およぐ > およがない 
    なおる > なおらない
    はなす > はなさない
    ある is an exception in the negative and instead of following the rule and be あらない it's just ない, ある is regular in the rest of tenses.
    *For the negative past tense just drop the い from the negative and add かった e.g. はなさない > はなさ > はなさなかった.

For the past tense it depends on its ending but all of them end in ~た or ~だ.

~す > した. はなす > はなした (I spoke)
    ~く > いた. きく> きいた (I heard)
    ~ぐ > いだ. およぐ > およいだ (I swam)
    ~ぶ、ぬ、む > んだ. まなぶ > まなんだ (I learnt)、しぬ > しんだ ( I died)、のむ>のんだ (I drank)
    ~る、つ、う > った. なおる >なおった (it was cured)、まつ > まった (I waited)、うたう > うたった ( I sang)
    *The verb いく (go) is an exception in the past tense and instead of being いいた it's いった. The rest of its conjugations are regular.

Only 2 irregular verbs in Japanese, する y くる
    しない、した、しなかった、きた、こない、こなかった、しません、きません, etc.

And last but not least, there are few verbs that look like -ru but are conjugated like -u. The most common verbs are:
    帰る「かえる」 (return/come home)
    切る「きる」 (to cut)
    交じる「まじる」 (to be mixed -intransitive-)
    知る「しる」 (to know)
    要る「いる」 (to need)
    入る「はいる」 (to get in)
    喋る「しゃべる」 (to speak -informal-)
    走る「はしる」 (to run)

So, instead of conjugating them as if they were -ru use the -u pattern, かえらない and not かえない、しった (I knew) and not した (I did), しゃべります and not しゃべます, 走らなかった and not はしなかった, etc. etc.

The informal form is very common and used so much, many structures require the informal form , like ほうがいい which can only take the informal past たべたほうがいい (I'd better eat). So, you should learn both already :).