Russian keyboard

Is using a phonetic keyboard layout for Russian a good idea or it will be too confusing in a long run?

For learning: Russian

I'm not sure what phonetic keyboard is. (I guess it's when Russian letter A placed not on standard place but on the same as English A) I think it should be difficult to type in Russian without having Russian letters on physical keyboard. So if you just dabble in Russian you can use one of transliterating patterns The most used nowadays here is one called “Passport (1997)”. It goes this way: Privet, menya zovut Anton, ya mogu pomoch vam s russkim. It's a bit hard to read but it's ok. Also there could be some misunderstandings. For example a male name for Паша is Pasha. Also the name for holiday Пасха (Easter) is also Pasha. But I'd say it's pretty minor coincidence.

But if you are going to learn Russian in earnest I'd advice you to learn Russian blind typing or to buy a keyboard with Russian characters. It looks like this: it has both Russian and standard English characters.