What is the difference between "to offer" and "to suggest"?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "Offer" means "do you want this?" or "how about this?". You are offering the other person a choice to do/have something or not to do/have it.

"A offers tea to B" = A says to B "do you want tea?". B has the choice of accepting the tea or not accepting it.

"A offers to drive B home" = A says to B "Do you want me to drive you home?" B can say "yes please" or "no thank you"

"Suggest" means "I think you should do this". You are offering the other person advice.

"A suggests B drink tea" = A says to B "I think you should drink tea". A is not saying "I will give you tea", but "You should drink tea". B can take this advice or not.

"A suggests B consult a lawyer" - A says to B "you should consult a lawyer". A is not offering to be a lawyer, only telling B that B should consult a lawyer. B can take this advice or leave it.

Have a nice day!
    Ms.Gigi

You offer something.

He offered me a drink.

You offer to do something.

He offered to get me a drink.

You suggest something.

'How about a drink?'

You suggest doing something together, or you suggest that someone does something.

'How about having a drink?'