Question about the names for Vietnamese shops.

Hi everyone,

I am using a flashcard program to learn Vietnamese, but I am not sure about some of their translations. I am wondering about this phrase:

Cửa hàng tạp phẩm

The flashcard says this means 'grocery store'. I thought that a grocery store is:

Cửa hàng thực phẩm

I thought that maybe cửa hàng tạp phẩm sells various kinds of things but not necessarily food. I don't really know how these phrases are used in Vietnam. Could someone explain this for me? Can you say either, or are they different? Cám ơn nhiều các bạn!

For learning: Vietnamese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    You are right. "Cửa hàng tạp phẩm" is a place where you can buy various kinds of things such as paper, pens, stamps ... Sometimes in the "Cửa hàng tạp phẩm" food is sold. However this food often is treated to be long lasting and kept in the tins.

I have just looked up the word " grocery store" in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. As I understand, it means "Сửa hàng thực phẩm", where sells food.
    Sorry about my poor English.
    Sincerely

p/s We say "Cảm ơn các bạn nhiều", we don't say "Cảm ơn nhiều các bạn" .

More open questions for learning Vietnamese