how do you call your mother's mother and your father's mother?

in chinese, we have "外婆" that is mother's mother
"奶奶"that is father's mother

so..what about in english? you all call them grandma?
thank you...

Answers

Generally, we refer to the parents of our father's and mother's side with the same terms. "Grandfather" (grandpa) or "Grandmother" (grandma) apply to both the mother and father's side.

Mother's mother: Beppe
    Mother's father: Pake
    Father's mother: Oma
    Father's father: Opa

But that's just because my mother is Frysian, so I address them in their language. It makes it easier to talk about visiting grandparents because everyone instantly knows which grandparents are meant. :P

Oh, by the way, so that's how I address them in my native language (Dutch) and their native language (Frisian). Forgot to mention that, my bad.

Mytch is right - both are called grandmother. But if you want a technical term, the grandmother on the mother's side is called the "maternal grandmother," while the grandmother on the father's side is called the "paternal grandmother."

Mother's mother: Nana
    Mother's father: Pop-Pop
    Father's mother: Gramma (a form of Grandma)
    Father's father: Grampa (a form of Grandpa)

My mother's father is Italian, her mother is a mixture of British, German, Irish, etc., and my father's parents are Polish and Irish. I'm Korean (I'm adopted), but I feel that my grandparents are my "real" grandparents, and they certainly love me as such. ;)

Oh, and in response to the question, like Mytch and Sudsey said, both the mother's mother and the father's mother are referred to as grandmothers, but they can be called a variety of different names, depending on their own preference, family traditions, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, etc. Some common names for one's grandmother include Nana, Grandmom, Grandma, Gramma, Grandmother, Mom Mom, etc.