Is it better to do Japanese as a Major course or Minor?

Well i really wanted to found out different opinions about this because it seems that alot of people have influenced me in several ways. I was thinking of taking Japanese as my main major but the majority of people I have asked think it's better to do it as a combination course instead of on it's own. For example they want me to do it with Finance, Marketing, Computing and other major courses.

Anyone has any advice on this, it would be appreciated.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi.

It's been a long time since I was a student but from my own experience and from recent experiences that I heard, it all depends on what you really want to do (yes, it's hard to know this when you are a student but please try) :-).

If you want to concentrate on the language itself (i.e. to become a Japanese teacher, translator, interpreter, researcher of Japanese, linguist, etc.), it might be better to major in Japanese; but if you just want to work in Japan or for a Japanese company somewhere, using Japanese as a means of communicating with Japanese people or media, perhaps minor in Japanese is enough. Japanese companies worldwide tend to hire people with special skills (IT, law, accounting) and minor in Japanese will be helpful. The emphasis in this case normally is the special skill, not the language skills, unless the language skill is absolutely necessary, such as dealing with customers who only speak Japanese but this is not very common this days as most Japanese know English although they are not very fluent...

I hope this helps a bit.

- Yan