Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Tu me manques

为什么这是 我想你
字面翻译应该是 literally translating, you me miss. i guessed me is prop. so put it before verb miss. so it should be you miss me. why end up i miss you?

merci :$

For learning: French
Base language: Chinese (Mandarin)

Answers

It would mean something like 'You are missed by me.' (not really good English). In French and other languages this would be a correct word order. 'I miss you.' (wo xiang ni) is more active (by yourself). But 'Tu me manques.' describes an absence (/a deficiency) of someone.

'manquer' means something is missing. Someone is... lacking (/less of /in need for) something or someone. Someone is absent. So let's try 'I'm short of (缺乏) you.' (Also bad English, you usually are short of things, not of people.)

我想你 = I miss you = tu me manques
    The english way of saying is very different from our way. It's like an active <->passive transformation, this is why we have to invert the "I" and the "you".

A word by word translation into english of "tu me manques" would be [You][are missed][to][me]. This doesn't sound English at all of course, and the actual meaning is "you are missed by me", that is "I miss you".

Tu me manques = tu manques à moi (me = à moi; it is an indirect object complement, not a direct object complement).

More resolved questions for learning French