finnish, estonian, magyar declesion. a bit of explanation, please

for reasons unknown to me i love declesions. up to now i can handle declensions up to 8 cases without problem, but when i see a language that has 15, 23 cases i don't know if i am going mad or excited. anyway, i had a look at the basque declesion and it has 15 cases. nice!. i'd like to compare with the languages above quoted as i have some materials if the use/notion of cases is the same or not. one stricking fact is that all these languages lack accusative. what do you use instead? for example; "i see the house". do you have ergativity in these language (tell about the one you speak, of course i am not expecting you to know all these languages). please tell me about the notion in every case. i guess it is a bit of work, so if you tell me a little and show me to any informative text about it, it'll be allright. thanks to answerers cause i know this is not a simple question that takes just a minute to answer.

For learning: Finnish

Answers

Hi Josep, this is a very interesting question, I learnt to read and write in Lithuanian, so I know all about learning declensions. My sister in law is Estonian, so she put me on to the following website if you want to know more. Go to: www.engetranslations.ee//declension.htm

Declensions means various things in various languages. In nutshell it's nothing more or less than adding some endings to a word (mostly nouns, but also adjectives, pronouns, numerals) to express such things as number, gender, relationship of a word to other words in a phrase or sentence.

While in English relationships between the words in a phrase or sentence are expressed by the means of prepositions in Estonian you utilise declension, i.e. adding distinct endings to a word. While in English it is 'in January", in Estonian you say 'jaanuaris', for example.

To the dismay of many foreigners, there are 14 different cases of declension in Estonian.

The first 3 of Estonian grammatical cases involve mainly changes in the root (no distinct ending) and these cases are called: nominative, genitive and partitive . Nominative marks the main form you would find in the dictionary (mental note - that's the form English language mostly uses). Genitive marks possession and always ends with the vowel. Partitive is often called object case since word in partitive case usually functions as object like "you" in the sentence I love you. In Estonian partitive may have distinct ending -d/t but not always. Upon root variance, or gradation of base forms, Estonian dictionaries provide you with the first 3 cases.

The next 11 cases have distinct endings and are therefore easier to pinpoint. Note that these endings are added to the genitive case of the word. It’s especially important to know when the nominative of a word ends with a consonant. Note also that Estonian has a total of 6 cases to express spatial relationships (from sisseütlev to alaltütlev)

Not really an ansver to your question but you might find this page amusing if you are interested in declension:
    http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html
    It lists all possible forms of the word shop in finnish.

'I see the house' is in finnish 'Näen talon'. So in this case accusative case is formed by using genetive. In other situations accusative is formed by using nominative. morphologically distinct accusative case exists in Finnish only for very few words (me, you, they, who ect..)

More open questions for learning Finnish