Use of "to"+ Verb in -ing form!

Hello people! well my question is very simple but maybe the answers won´t be! i hope not :)

when do we use "to" followed by a verb in -ing form?

it´s weird because as i was taught at university it is supposed that almost never that conbination occurs.

I understand that there are some idiomatic expressions such as
"look forward TO hearING from you..."
but it´s hard to understand this "event" in other situations and even more complicated when trying to write!

i really hope you can help me!

Answers

'to+verb ' , as far as i know ,it belong to infinitive verb, which is stiplulated in grammer. to +verb-ing , when the verb is followed a Preposition we must add the -ing in the end of verb.thus the verb turn to noun, we know preposition must combine with noun or pronouns.

I agree with apple.

the "to" in the sentence 'look forward TO hearING from you', acts as preposition and that the verb followed by it should end in 'ing' form. other prepositions such as 'in', 'on', 'at', 'with', 'from', are always followed by the -ing form rather than infinitive.

"I look forward TO meeting you soon!"
    "Please refrain FROM opening the box."

:)

Actually, the problem here is not the use of an infinitive "to". It is that all of the prepositions (including "to" here) are part of phrasal verbs:

"to look forward to"
    "to talk about"
    "to be fond of"
    etc.

And, after these, a gerund object (like "hearing") is the same as it would be if the verb were not phrasal:

Ex.: "I highly anticipate hearing from you."

More resolved questions for learning English