Learning Japanese and Korean

I'm learning Korean now but I want to learn both Korean and Japanese. I know that the two are similar when it comes to grammar, so anyone who speaks either language would find it easy to learn the other. Because of that I was wondering if learning the two languages at the same time would be okay. :) I don't think I'm a total beginner to either language (I can read and write in both) but I'm still a beginner. T^T

Additional Details:

Oh, also I'd like to know how much time I should spend on each language per day. If it's not too many I should be able to do both (I'm starting school again in a few weeks so I hope I won't be too busy to study both).

For learning: Korean

Answers

Hello 브리아,
    Yes you can learn them both at the same time provided you have an efficient time schedule where you can practice both separately with the same intensity and not concentrate on one language at the expense of the other!

Hi you may find a connection. Here's some info from Wikipedia about the 2 languages.
    The possible lexical relationship between Korean and Japanese can be briefly exemplified by such basic vocabulary items, see table below and Martin 1966.
    Comparison with Japanese
    Old Japanese Japanese meaning  Mid-Korean Korean meaning
    midu mizu water myr mul water
    midu mizu water mos mot lake
    k-u k-uru to come ka- ka-da to go
    kata-si kata-i hard kut- kud-yn
    kut-yn hard
    wi-ru i-ru to be ' i-da to be
    naɸ-u na-i not an anh not
    mïna mina all, everyone man-ha- manh- many
    kasa kasa hat gat gat hat

The same possible cognates are often observed in other members of the potential Altaic family, especially among the Tungusic languages. Compare, for instance, Nanai muke "water"; giagda- "to walk on foot"; anaa, anna "not" (from Starostin's database).

The considerable number of shared words within the basic vocabulary which have been cited by different scholars can hardly be attributed to mutual borrowing. The hypothesis is also based on a high degree of typological and grammatical similarity, almost obvious to anyone familiar with both languages (Beckwith 2004).

In order to improve your memory and remember words in both languages you can follow 2 methods.
    First is the repetition-based method, where you learn words by writing them several times or saying them repeatedly until you remember them all. If you patiently follow the process, you will see your vocabulary extended very well.

Secondly, you also need have to have a notebook with your own note-taking rules. Each time you log onto Italki, note down any new words in this Answers section.
    The only problem is whether you want a rich vocabulary or not.

Any good plan should answer the four following questions.
    Firstly, how many words will you learn a week: 5, 10, 5 or more?

Secondly, when will you learn them? At a fixed time every other morning or anytime you feel like learning?This is what I personally recommend
    .
    Thirdly, how often will you review what you have learnt: once a week, once a month or before a test ?

Finally, what areas will you focus on: sports, music, games or sciences? The answers may vary a great deal from one person to another depending on memory, schedules and interest. Otherwise, your study results won't be as you expected.

You can gain a big vocabulary and improve your vocab by simply by determining what field of words to learn, making a plan of learning, choosing a learning method and regularly practising your plan and method.
    Although it is up to you, daily vocab learning is better than weekly and weekly is better than monthly.Good luck.

You won't have the experiences that I had as you're an English speaker. Korean knowledge can help you learn Japanese a bit more easily and also can hold you back if you were Korean.

We don't use Hanja when we speak/write in Korean, it's why learning the two at the same time is perfectly okay. If you memorize 1,000 Korean words which are most frequently used, you'll be able to understand 70% percent of what we say in daily conversation. Korean grammar is difficult, and yet it's totally apprehensible. Japanese grammar is rather easier.

Learning Japanese comes with large memory requirements. Reading Kanji is the last gate. If you memorize 1,800 Kanji, you won't have difficulty in having daily conversation. The hard part is how to read Kanji in a certain situation. A Kanji can be variously pronounced, so it's better to understand the situation that the Kanji is used than just memorizing each Kanji. Welcome to the Kanji world. :P