A couple of questions about 의 used to indicate posession

I have been reading about 의 used as a particle to indicate possession and have got a little confused.I understand it when they said 수잔의 가방 Susan's bag or토니의 지갑 Tony's wallet.

But then this came up and I have got confused.

As seen above, the function of the particle 의 resembles that of the
English suffix -’s. However, there is one clear difference in their usages.
English allows the possessor + ’s construction, as in “Steven’s” or “Andy’s However, Korean does not allow the possessor noun ending with the
particle. Consequently, a sentence like 그 컴퓨터는 스티브의에요.“As for
that computer, (it) is Steven’s” is unacceptable. For this purpose, a bound
noun 것 “thing” typically appears after the particle, as in 그 컴퓨터는 스티브의 깃이에요.“As for that computer, (it) is Steven’s (thing).”

Please could someone try to explain this paragraph in less confusing english lol!

Is saying 스티브의 컴퓨터not like saying 그 컴퓨터는 스티브의 깃이에요.? Or does something like 스티브의 컴퓨터 have to have something like is old/black/broken follow it?

Another question is when using 내 or 제 can I say both 그 것은 나의 운동회에요 and 그 그 것은 내 운동회에요? and 토마스는 저의 친구입니다 and 토마스는 제 친구입니다.or is only one way right?

Additional Details:

Also when does 갓 ( thing) become 거 in the construction noun 것 (or 거). Is is it 갓 after vowels and 거 after consonants?

Thanks in advance!

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I'm not a native Korean speaker, but I'll try to help you as much as I can. So, you can say both 그 것은 나의 운동회에요 and 그 것은 내 운동회에요 but I think it's better if you try to use only this "내" or "제" etc. As you know, 저+의= 제

It's very hard for me to answer to this question "Is saying 스티브의 컴퓨터not like saying 그 컴퓨터는 스티브의 깃이에요?" because to me it sounds like a clear thing. You know, it doesn't need any kind of explanation. Maybe that's because I speak Finnish as my native language.

Hope this helped at least a little! ㅅ.ㅅ

um.. I feel your questions are writed difficult words..
    anyway, I answer what I understand.

You maybe confuse this → 의 equals 's?
    for example, [her(a possessive case) = 그녀의] and [hers = 그녀의 것]

In other words, 의 doesn't equal 's.
    [Steven’s] includes [스티븐의(a possessive case)], [스티븐의 것(a possessive pronoun)].

Regarding this: Is saying 스티브의 컴퓨터not like saying 그 컴퓨터는 스티브의 깃이에요.? Or does something like 스티브의 컴퓨터 have to have something like is old/black/broken follow it?

By writing it this way you reverse the subject and object of the sentence, which sounds odd. Take this English example for instance:

A: "Whose computer is this?"
    B: "Steve's computer is this one."

Doesn't it sound a bit odd? Why?

The response to the question sounds unnatural because you have switched the subject and object. Originally the subject of the question is the computer, and the object being its (at the time unknown) owner. In the response the subject has been switched to Steve and the computer is now the object. This is an unnatural speech pattern as within a natural conversation the subject will not be swapped in this manner. At most the subject is abbreviated, but not swapped with the object. It may be easier for you to understand the sentence in that way, but it could be confusing to the listener.

(Note, I'm not an authority on Korean but from a linguistic angle this makes sense)

You don't have to be obsessed by 의 since we always drop it.

Is saying "스티브 컴퓨터?" not like saying "그 컴퓨터, 스티브 거예요?"
    Saying "스티브 컴퓨터?" can be like saying "그 컴퓨터, 스티브 거야?" in this following situation.
    Someone is carrying Steve's computer and you know him very well. You can say "스티브 컴퓨터?" pointing at the computer. If you have to be polite for some reasons, it would be proper to say "스티브 컴퓨터예요?"

Both are right but we say only 그건 내/제 운동화예요, 토마스는 제 친구예요.

We always use 거 in speaking or chatting online.
    그것 + 은 = 그것은 (usually used in books)
    그거 + 는 = 그건