Do racial stereotypes and things like that sometimes discourage you from studying your favorite language?

I recently read a chat conversation in Japanese about foreigners living in Japan. It was very vulgar and offensive... Of course I do not think that all Japanese people think this way, but I was still sort of depressed when I read this... I still want to continue my study, but I'm worried that I'll be disappointed if I go to Japan and I am discriminated against. I have worked so hard in studying Japanese and I do not want to give it up. Have you ever had any similar experiences? Do you have anything encouraging to say about this matter??

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    The less you expect - the less you will get dissappointed. If you put certain national group into the high pedestal and have high unrealistic expectations about them then you're often doomed to get dissappointed or switch into self-denial. People are just people. There's tolerant people and intolerant people no matter where you go. There's retarded perverts in every country. Some countries have bigger problems with tolerance than others but I don't really think that Japan anywhere near the worst group in that part.

Visit the place at least once. Then you see if it's worth visiting again. I don't really base my opinion about stereotypies. I see the place and people at least once and if the trip had more positive experiences than negative ones that I might be interested to visit again. I'm learning Japanese occasionally to be able to have simple chats in Japanese with my Japanese friend here in Finland.

There's few places and groups of people I don't want much to do with because I have so many bad personal experiences about those people. Yeah there's also good people from those few countries but when negative experiences reach certain point that's enough for me.

Hi, I have hosted many Japanese exchange students and teachers and my daughter went on exchange to Sapporo without any problems.. Discrimination and racism are part of some sections of every society but should not be a reason to discourage you from studying a language.

既然是最喜爱的东西,那么为什么会又会出现种族偏见和不喜欢呢?这好象有矛盾吧!

Why must we pose this question so sharply? I remember I have asked you why do you learn languages yesterday,and your answer is just you like !So what !why don't you do as simple as your answer ? enjoy something isa simple thing originally,if it bring you no end of worry ,then it will be simple any more .Do things follow your mind .as in the "Divine Comedy "raid :Go your own way ,let others talk !The most important thing is your happiness

Why must we pose this question so sharply? I remember I have asked you why do you learn languages yesterday,and your answer is just you like !So what !why don't you do as simple as your answer ? enjoy something isa simple thing originally,if it bring you no end of worry ,then it will be not simple any more .Do things follow your mind .as in the "Divine Comedy "said :Go your own way ,let others talk !The most important thing is your happiness

I think the more proud people are of their own culture, and the more 'inwardly' focussed their society is, the sharper the contrasts will be: either they look down on foreigners, or they feel honored (and surprised, perhaps) that you're willing to learn their language. On the whole, though, it should really balance out. And the 'median' of any group is always not extreme either way. So I really wouldn't worry about it at all. I won't, at least. :)

P.S. And one chat-log does not a general tendency make!

yah boy , Today We talked. Do you remember who I am ?
    Unfortunately some of them have racial discrimination but
    it's not all of them :] so it's not big deal :]]]]]]]
    Enjoy studying Japanese lang to cheer for Johnny's entertainment.