What comes to mind when you think of Australia?

Australia day is coming up (26 January), and I was wondering what comes to mind when you think of Australia?

For the Aussie italki users, what kind of things (food, music, sayings, anything) do you think describe Australia? What are the typically Australian things we do and have here? (Apart from obvious things like kangaroos, of course.)

On a side note, a friend in Czech Republic is doing a small 'Around the World in 33 Days' food/dress/photo project from her Prague apartment - I'd promised to give her ideas and thoughts for her own "Australia" day. ;)

Additional Details:

Thanks for all the great answers! Seems the main attraction is the land and nature. I usually recommend that to visitors.

The same question on facebook gave answers based around what we Aussies say & do, like sucking coffee through a TimTam! (choc biscuit... yum)

I also really appreciate the more critical answers (eg. Chihiro's) as it reminds me that there's still room for better things.

Hard pick! I really liked all these answers....

Thanks again guys!

PS. I am a bit disappointed that someone came by to give thumbs-down when people were just giving opinions?

Answers

Very friendly and gracious society. Peaceful country.

very big and its animals are very lovely!

Good weather, friendly people, G'day mate, fair dinkum:))), vegimate....

Hello, Peachey
    Unfortunatly,I have never been to Australia.It's remaining mine ardent desire to trip down there.Of course,I watched a famous film like a "Crocodile Dandy" and all,but I gather it's not like this.I just imagine a fresh breeze of the ocean,the beach,white sand..the gorgeous and beautiful flora within the country like an infinite paradise..Are you still with me? hehe.
    It comes to mine mind. Oddly enougth, but I presume not too far from the truth. Eh?

i don't know why but the first thing that comes to my mind is Kangaroo :D and Kuala :D euhhh there's something else!
    OZ wizard :D , it's a wide country with a lot of wild nature ! i like it

Hi ... For Aussies it is a "family day too" with BBQ on and friendship...

That was the day in 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip, commander of the First Fleet of eleven convict ships from Great Britain and the first governor of New South Wales, arrived at Sydney Cove.

Yet the tradition of having Australia Day as a national holiday on 26 January is a recent one...

hola Peachy
    Paradise island with wonderful scenery, beautiful beaches and a sea of many colors, I think it is a country with great tourism

OOPT

Well, some of them are seriously attacking Japan and Japanese, and damaging the reputation of Australia in Japan. This is the first thing that came to my mind. Other than that, I heard most Aussie people are very friendly and easy-going.

Economy is recovering quickly despite the global financial tsunami.

a color.--->green.
    grass. forest. ocean. very clean and gorgeous views.

When i was a child. I often hear some conversations like this:
    I am gonna go abroad.
    where?
    Australia!

where has he gone?
    Australia!

An ex-colleague of mine is in Australia now.

Then Australia is home to kangaroo. koala is so lovely and boomerang is very interesting.

in my mind australia is a LARGE COUNTRY AND PETITE POPULATION...i love this.

kangaroo~~

hi,

to be honest, what comes first to mind when I think of Australia is "kangaroo", then the "Great Barrier Reef"...

got it pare?

:)

@romulus
    kopya yan pare!

when you say Australia honestly what comes to my minds are foods like cheese and drinking milk.beef and cornedbeef.

"soya an ab togas ok erap"

wocyob...