The singular and the plural, difinite/indifinite article

These things confuse me.
How can I know when I can use any English word(especially uncountable nouns) in the singular or the plural?
For example, I don't know when I can use simplicity or simplicities.
I'd like to know what's the difference between labor difficulties and labor difficulty.
Why isn't 'the fish' 'fishes' or 'the fishes' in 'So long thanks for all the fish'?

Base language: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hi
    You say that these nouns are 'uncountable', but this is not so. You use the word simplicity when referring to a single simplicity and simplicities is used for two or more simplicities, the same with difficulty and difficulties - they are simply singular and plural nouns.
    For example
    'the difficulty I have with English is the spelling' or
    'the difficulties I have with English are the syntax and the spelling' (more than one difficulty)
    The fish question is one of those strange anomolies that appear in the English language to confuse us! These are some exceptions to the normal rule
    one fish, two fish
    one sheep, two sheep
    one deer, two deer
    one goose, two geese .... and yet ...
    one mongoose, two mongooses
    one mouse, two mice
    one cactus, two cacti
    one hippopotamus, two hippoptami ... and yet ...
    one duck billed platypus, two duck billed platypuses
    Katy