What is the meaning of Chinese numbers?

As i know that China's culture is full of history and tradition. Like in the west, numbers play a huge role in daily life. Many of China's customs are influenced by numbers, and often actions are guided by the numbers involved.

8 : The number eight is the luckiest number in Chinese, because it sounds like the word for fortune and prosperity when spoken aloud. The Beijing Olympics started on 8/8/08 at eight o'clock because of this.

4 : Four is the unluckiest number in Chinese because it sounds exactly like the Chinese word for death. To give four of something as a gift is considered very bad manners.

6&9 : Six and nine are considered good numbers. Six is associated with longevity and nine with power.

1&7 : One is an unlucky number because it is considered lonely, while seven is associated with death--although not as closely as four.

250 : The number 250 is a slang term among modern Chinese and is used to indicate that someone is foolish or ignorant.

88 : English isn't the only language that has adopted Internet shorthand. In Chinese, typing 88 is shorthand for goodbye because saying it out loud sounds very similar to saying "bye bye."

我的问题是,如果我有什么地方理解错误了,还是漏掉一些数字,请你们告诉我。

谢谢

Answers

你的理解完全正确,类似这些的有很多。我说几个吧,如:886 means "bye bye "
    520 means "i love you " 721 means "dear"

10, 在中国文化中,由于10是十进制的第一个进位后的数字,所以有正好圆满的意思,于是有“十分(好)”“十全十美”“十拿九稳”“十足”等词。

a few additional meanings:
    1: a little. 一点.
    2: other.
    3:many. 三心二意(vacillating)
    4:cuz 4 main directions,so 4 means surroundings. 四处(all over the place)

All are ok except 1&7. It's first time I heard about the meaning. Perhaps it's popular among the other area of China.

1 also sounds like '要', so it can combine with other number such us 18 which means 要发.

7 sounds like ‘吃’. Then it's no longer strange for you to find that a lot of restaurants choose the telephone number contains 7.

I think you have noticed the similar pronunciation of numbers and characters in Chinese is the key as well as degree they present.

you are China Hands

Hello Justin,

I know about those numbers, but it was nice to memorize them again.

I can tell you some more information about that ( you might already know it though) and correct some aspects:

Number 2:
    is a good number in Chinese culture, they say 'good things come in pairs'. Therefore it is common to use double symbols in product brand names like double coins , double elephants etc.

Number 3:
    Sounds like the character of birth "生" sheng ..saang ,, and is therefore considered a lucky number as well.

Number 5:
    It refers to the 5 elements (water,fire,air,earth and metal) in Chinese philosophy, It also refers to the pronoun "I".
    You know the Chinese "I" is 'wo' 我,and it sounds a bit like 'wu' .

Number 9:

The number 9 (九, Pinyin: jiŭ, jyutping: gau2), being the greatest of single-digit numbers, was historically associated with the Emperor of China; the Emperor's robes often had nine dragons, and Chinese mythology held that the dragon has nine children.

Moreover, the number 9 is a homophone of the word for "longlasting" (久), and as such is often used in weddings.

7456:
    This number " qi si wu liu" sounds a bit like " 氣死我了"qisi wo le ",which means "to make me angry or piss me off".So it means 'you make me angry or you piss me off"

520 or 521 :
    means 'i love you'
    5= wu 2=er 1 = yi similar to 'wo ai ni' 我爱你

So now you know the meaning of :
    " 7456 但是521“

88 ;)

4 is not a bad number in all cultures. In fact, it's a lucky number for people from Chiu Chow/Teochew.

250 means stupid, but it's more used in the North of China. Cantonese people may not understand that terms meaning.

38 表示人太“啰嗦”、“唠叨”等
    2用来形容一个人头脑简单,行动愚蠢.
    280=250+38+2 means foolish
    7758521 亲亲我吧我爱你

( ⊙ o ⊙ )啊! 错了 是290=250+38+2 哈哈